Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Strasbourg attractions - Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

It's the first Roman Catholic church I visited in Europe and I've gotta say it's truly magnificent. And among the churches/cathedral I've been to, it's the most beautiful. Even when compared to Notre Dame de Paris. If you are in Strasbourg, this is the one place that you must visit.

I'm not a Catholic, but since I used to dream of having a church wedding (blame it on all the movies I'd watched since young), I've had some fascination with churches. And even though I can't really differentiate which religion a church belongs to, I'd like to admire it for its gorgeous architecture. And I really envy those are lucky enough to get married in this church.

I came here around noon, right at the time its astronomical clock having the procession of the 18-inch high figures of Christ and the Apostles. It was an very interesting experience and the geek in me thought of all the mathematical equations that were created to build this mechanism. It was definitely worth the wait, the queue and the ache of my neck (as I needed to look up to see the whole happening).

Astronomical Clock inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg
The Astronomical Clock inside the Catheral

Astronomical Clock inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Astronomical Clock inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Astronomical Clock inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg
Beautiful details of the clock

After the procession, the visitors were allowed to mingle for a few minutes before they close the church to outsiders. It was a weekday after all. And I couldn't help but gasp in wonder when seeing its grandeur. It was my first visit to a cathedral in Europe, you can't really fault me for being charmed by its beauty, right?

Inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg
Pillars with pain-taking detailed sculptures

Inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg
Stained glass windows from 14th century, or even before that

Inside Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg
Richly ornate ceiling

If you think inside is beautiful, I think you will be lost for words when looking at the church from the outside. It's so big that I couldn't take a photo of the whole church with my poor point-and-shoot digital camera. Unless I take it from afar, which I forgot to do. But still, without that, with a few below pictures, I guess you can figure out yourself.

Now, take a breath and enjoy the wonder that's called Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg.

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

And of course, there's also an obligatory shot of myself in front of the church.

Cathedrale Notre Dame de Strasbourg

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"