Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy 29

Nowadays, birthday is just a reason for me to pamper myself. To buy something extravagant, to dine in fine-dining restaurants or to buy tickets to a musical and a concert. When spending my hard-earned money, I usually have a guilt trip right before and after the moment handing out my plastics. So birthday is the best excuse, only followed by Christmas. And I no longer care about how old I am (or getting upset over aging). After all, age is just a number and I feel absolutely much better than when I was 21.

That day was all about me, aka I did everything alone. Unlike when I was young and loved to have a big birthday party with lots of friends, I prefer much few companies nowadays. I feel that I don't want to fake my laugh and waste my time on those who are just being there for the sake of being there. Trust me, it is a very tiring experience, for both host and attendees. You fake yourself enough while at work. You shouldn't do that in your private time, much less your birthday.

I had quite a full-day event scheduled, considered my saturdays always start at around noon. First I had a complimentary birthday make-over, in cutesy of Chanel. Then I treated myself a nice meal at Osteria Mozza, and then enjoyed myself with a musical. I had written about my experience of watching "The music of Andrew Lloyd Webber" previously, which means I will focus on the make-over and the dinner.

It was my second professional make-over experience and Chanel won my heart wholly. The staff was very polite without making me feel awkward. The make-up artist was knowledgeable and professional. Even though it was a complimentary session, I had a feeling that she didn't do any shortcut with my make-up. She even gave me some good tips on how to draw my eye brows or apply blush. There was no hard-sell of their products, and I personally think that was a very clever sales strategy. Making customers satisfied and happy and they will spend money in your brand. That was exactly what I did. I bought a liquid foundation at full price when I could buy it at a 20% discount elsewhere.

After a makeover at Chanel
Here was I after the make-over

And Chanel even gave me a surprised birthday gift, which made it a much sweeter experience.

An interesting birthday gift from Chanel
Guess what is it? A very elegant camellia bookmark

After the make-over, I headed to Osteria Mozza for a pre-theater dinner. I chose this restaurant for a few reasons. Firstly , it is located opposite the Grand Theater of Marina Bay Sands, which means I wouldn't need to rush after the meal (who knows how long it would take to finish a meal in these fine-dining establishments). Secondly, I was craving for Italian food. And thirdly, most important, they offer a reasonably-priced pre-theater dinner set meal.

The restaurant is having very good business. When I was there, it was almost full-house. And it was around 530pm at the time. Just imagine dinner time. Of course, I had to make reservation. I didn't want to feel disappointed on that day. And being turned away for your dinner is definitely a big no.

The decoration of the establishment is understated elegance with dark-wood furniture and warm lighting. The tables are spaced cleverly without making you feel like in a tuna can. I dislike hearing others' conversations during my meal. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the food and all I can think is what this guy learns from his culinary school. Well, it is nice to know that chefs think those who order well-done steaks are idiots. But I want to enjoy my tom yam noodles in peace, damn it!

The staff was polite and well-trained. And I was glad that they allowed to have photos taken in the restaurant. You never know which restaurants are snooty enough to forbid their customers from photographing in their premises. Overall, I did enjoy the food but except for the dessert, I don't think I will try the rest again. I am a tomato-base girl, and I won't feel satisfied with my pasta if it is a macaroni or the like. Well, trying to be adventurous had some price after all.

Osteria Mozza

Osteria Mozza

Osteria Mozza
Osteria Mozza @ Marina Bay Sands

Osteria Mozza
Table setting

2008 La Mozza “I Perazzi” Morellino di Scansano
A glass of wine to indulge myself

A sample before appetizer
A sample complimentary from the chef

Burricotta with radicchio, spiced walnuts, honey & fried rosemary
Appetizer: Burricotta with radicchio, spiced walnuts, honey & fried rosemary

Orecchiette with sausage & Swiss chard
Main dish: Orecchiette with sausage & Swiss chard

Vanilla Panna Cotta mixed berry compote & biscotti
Dessert: Vanilla Panna Cotta mixed berry compote & biscotti

Dining at Osteria Mozza

Dining at Osteria Mozza
Of course, me dining at Osteria Mozza

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"