Sunday, June 10, 2007

Indian food for spice lovers


I've got to know Indian food since I went to Singapore to live and study. Yet I didn't taste it until I graduated from uni. That was for 3 years long and I used to wonder why Westerners love eating Indian food so much. I remembered walking into Bizad canteen and saw a long queue of European and American students in front of Indian food stall. It was crazy and funny, I must say.

I officially tasted Indian food when I was working in hotel and got to know May, a Burmese ex-colleague. She's Muslim, speaks English, Burmese and Tamil. She loves Indian movies and TV drama series. And of course, she loves Indian food. I stayed with her for 6 months until I changed my job. It was an interesting cultural experience. There was also Lata, another Malaysian Indian ex-colleague. With their love for Indian food, they has dragged me in and out Indian restaurants and food stalls. And according to them, Blue Diamond near Mustafa is the best Indian restaurant in Singapore. I must say I agree with them whole-heartedly. Also, I prefer Northern cuisine to Southern. You've gotta try it before you understand what I'm talking about.

How about in Saigon? Where is the good place to have Indian food?

I've been back here for a year, minus time I flied back to Singapore for biz trips and shopping. Yet I've just explored Indian food since last month. That was after I get bored with Japanese, Thai, Western and Korean food. Never Vietnamese food, mind you.

The first restaurant I dined in was Tandoor, at Vo Van Tan St. Reason being it's near my house. But I wasn't impressed much. Even though it served Northern cuisine, the taste was mild at best. The only good thing was Nan, unleavened flour bread.

The second dining place I had was Saigon Indian Restaurant at Mac Thi Buoi St. Wow, this was a different class from Tandoor. Very authentic food, both North and South. Why could I be so sure? Because its food tastes nearly like what I had at Blue Diamond in Singapore. The first time I was there, I ordered Ajwanin Fish curry (sour and spicy, a must-try), Chicken Biryani (another must-try) and Cheese nan. Spicy enough for me without burning my throat. One downside was the nan, not so good as the one at Tandoor.

Tired of words? Some pictures for you...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Inside the restaurant

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Plain Biryani, not so good as Chicken Biryani

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Some vegetable dish, forgot the name, quite delicious!!! Originated from the South of India

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Alright, this was one hella spicy dish, Chicken Vindaloo. The waitress told me that it was very sour (vinegar) and spicy (herbs). When I tasted it, I was like "oh gosh, my throat is burning", in a very good way, of course. Have lotsa water ready when taking this dish, okie?

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"