Thursday, September 15, 2011

Brugge eats - Drinking the best hot chocolate

I had very fond memories about chocolate in Brugge. It was cheap and available everywhere in the town. After 4 days there, I brought back quite a huge amount of chocolate that helped me to survive a travelling hangover. And of course, I had to try some hot chocolate when I was there.

I passed by Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc when finding my way to Minnewater. The claim of "The place to be to drink the best hot chocolate" sparked my interest. This shop had to have something to back up its confidence. So on my last day in Brugge, I stopped over and walked up the stairs to enter the café.

Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc on Katelijnestraat

The shop was decorated in a quaint and lovely style. Colorful glass windows, wooden furniture and flowery tablecloth made me feel so happy. This was my favourite shop decoration. And it was hard to find such shops in Singapore and Vietnam. I had found one in Saigon but the whole atmosphere seemed so pretentious that I had had to leave after an hour.

Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc, Brugge

Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc, Brugge

I ordered the café's signature hot chocolate and a plate of waffle with butter. The food and drink were brought out promptly.

Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc, Brugge

So what was so special about this drink that made it the best? Well, the white liquid in the white bowl was actually hot milk. And do you see the cup full of chocolate on the right-hand side plate? That cup was also made of chocolate. Before drinking, I had to put the cup and the chocolate inside it into the hot milk. Then stirring my mixture of milk and chocolate by using the mixing tool given. Until the chocolate was all melted into the milk. Tada, my hot choclate was ready to be drunk. And darn! It was so yummy that I had to share with my friends on Facebook. Yep, I was facebooking on my iPhone in the café as well. There was complimentary wifi for its guests. Couldn't bear to pay for the super duper expensive data roaming so I only went only if there was a free wifi connection around.

What about the waffle? Sad to say this but it was mediocre at best. I chose butter to go with my waffle and that was a big mistake. I should have chosen fresh/whipped cream. It would be a much better experience. Oh well, I went there for chocolate, not waffle after all. So I guess it was not a huge loss. So yeah, if you are around the town, don't hesitate, head to Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc and enjoy the best hot chocolate in town.

Chocolaterie Sukerbuyc, Brugge

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"