Thursday, September 08, 2011

Singapore entertainment - "Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011"

After more than 4 months of waiting, I had finally a chance to listen to Jacky Cheung singing live the first time in my life. And it was worth all the money I had spent on the ticket.

The show was performed at Singapore Indoor Stadium and on 28 Aug which was a Sunday. It lasted for more than 3 hours, without any break. When I reached home, it was after midnight. Luckily, the next two days were public holidays in Singapore so I had time to rest and upload my photos.

Finding the way to the venue was a tad difficult, which was actually unexpected. I had gone there before, for Andy Lau's concert and the semi-final football match between Vietnam and Singapore. I had even done a check on Maps app from my iPhone. However, the result on Maps app and my memory did not match. So I checked the bus route at the bus stop. And guess what? Both buses from my memory and Maps app did not pass by Singapore Indoor Stadium. What was going on? Just to be sure, I checked with the bus driver of the bus from my memory. And he said the route had been changed for a while. Yes, it had passed by the stadium in the past. But no longer since sometime late last year. Oh dear...

In the end, I had to take Circle line to Stadium station and walk to the venue from there. At the time, it was about 15 minutes to 8pm. And I was not happy as I wanted to go in and take some picture pre-show. To add insult to injury, I stood in the wrong queue. When I reached to my seat, it was 8pm, when the show was supposed to start. But there were still long queues outside. I guess that was why the show had not started on time. Well, it was the first time I felt relieved for a show starting later than it was supposed to. Why? The reasons are below.

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

After around 15 minutes waiting, the light was dim and everyone stayed quiet. It was the time to admire and listen to Jacky. He appeared on stage in a white suit, tap-dancing for a few minutes. My first impression was "Interesting". In fact, I did not have much expectations about the show as I thought his greatest strength was his voice. So the show should not have much dancing or skit. Well, I was utterly wrong.

Jacky Cheung tap-dancing to open the show

As the show progressed, I had mixed feelings. In one hand, I was amazed that Jacky had put a lot of efforts to make the show more interesting with his dancing and acting. However, like I said, I love his voice so I felt these performances had been distracting me from thoroughly enjoying his vocal. Nevertheless, they were a joy to watch.

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Also, as I was not very familiar with Jacky's newer songs/albums, half of the songs performed in the show were first-timer to me. And it was kinda hard to sing along or feel my emotion with them. Only when older songs were sang, I then felt my heart beating faster and cheering along with other fans.

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

One thing that made me truly respect the artiste was no break during the concert. Jacky sang live without any real break. Just some small breaks in between songs. But the energy was still great until the end of the show. From my limited understanding of Chinese, the singer sang more than 30 songs. That was impressive. And he had a lovely sense of humour when interacting with his fans. I would love to understand all of what he said then.

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

I especially love the part that he sang some of his oldest songs, which I know and understand quite well. He did that with a band of cello and piano, which are two of my favourite musical instruments. It blended beautifully with his voice. It took me back to my childhood and uni time, a time without worry and stress. Life was so simple back then.

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

However, I was really sad when realizing that he did not sing my most favourite song, 我等到花儿也谢了(Anh Sẽ Đợi Đến Khi Hoa Tàn). That was the song that brought his terrific voice to me, and not hearing it singing live was such a sad feeling. That was why I left the concert feeling incomplete. And that was also why I still prefer Andy Lau's Wonderful World Tour 2008 to Jacky Cheung's 1/2 Century Tour 2011. However, my childhood dream has been fulfilled two third. If only Michael Jackson were still alive...

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century Tour 2011

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"