Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Brugge - Heilig-Bloedbasiliek

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek (in Dutch language) is also called the Basilica of the Holy Blood in English. It is one of the landmarks in Brugge that are mentioned in every travel book about the town. And being a very typical tourist myself, I had made it a point to visit the church, even if I am not a Catholic.

This was my second visit to a Roman Catholic church during my Europe trip. Until I write these blog posts, I did not realize that most of the churches I had been to were Roman Catholic. My lack of knowledge in religions contributed to my ignorance toward the types of churches I visited during my travels. However, it did not prevent me from admiring the magnificent beauty of this minor basilica.

Anyway, even though I had this in my itinerary, I did not exactly enter Heilig-Bloedbasiliek on purpose. More like stumbling into it. I was in the Burg square to explore Brugge's famous City Hall, after my Moroccan lunch. Then I saw people streaming in and out of a small door located on the right-hand side of City Hall. And when travelling, I harbored quite an unhealthy amount of curiosity, which meant I followed these people through that door. And guess what? I discovered the lower chapel of the basilica.

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

This lower chapel is a dark Romanesque structure that remains virtually unchanged from the 12th century. To say the truth, I felt a little disappointed when first walking around. It was dark and dreary. Not my favourite type of church, you know? But still, I wondered what had made the church so popular, even to those who are not religious.

The answer was the upper chapel of Heilig-Bloedbasiliek. After stepping into it, I was glad I had followed my gut instinct and decided to climb a few stairs. "Wow" was my first thought. It was so gorgeous that I was mutely walking around, excitedly inhaling and exhaling.

The upper chapel was rebuilt in the Gothic style during the 16th century and renovated multiple times during the 19th century in Gothic Revival style. And it best known as the repository of a venerated phial said to contain a cloth with blood of Jesus Christ, brought to the city by Thierry of Alsace after the 12th century Second Crusade. Alright, pardon my disinterest of the fact about the blood of Jesus Christ, but I felt a tad queasy to even think there was a vial of blood being kept for several centuries. That was just disturbing to me. My main focus was still in the terrific architecture of the basilica. And that was what I did exactly. Admiring all the altars, glass windows and colorfully-painted walls. And then left for another touristy interest.

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, Brugge

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"