Thursday, April 14, 2011

Brugge eats - Bistro den Huzaar

This restaurant always came up when I searched for some good meals in Brugge. So I made a point to come here for a dinner, when I was around Markt. And of course, I was always around Markt at the end of the day because Markt is the easiest place to start your navigation around Brugge and it was on the way to go back to my hotel.

Now thinking about restaurants, Brugge was the place I ate in restaurants the most. Almost every lunch and dinner, and it was worth the money. And like I said before, I don't think about money when travelling. It's my comfort and enjoyment that count.

Back to Bistro den Huzaar. Even though it's near to Markt, it isn't very touristy or overpriced like the rest of the restaurants located at and around the square. Sure, it was expensive (the price is in Euro after all), but the food was great and the service was impeccable. The waitress was professional and she served me with a hint of warmness which I feel it often lacking in Singapore. No wonder it's so popular with tourists and locals alike.

I didn't make a reservation in advance, but I went there a little early. After 6pm, when every shops and museums close for the day. Maybe that was why I managed to get a table. During this trip, I had a tendency to have dinner early, in Strasbourg and Brugge. The reason is both places are small towns/cities, and after 6pm, there seems to be nobody on the street. And for a petite girl, that is quite scary sometimes. Paris is a different story. It's big city and I can handle big cities anytime, with caution of course.

Again, I couldn't remember the exact names of the dishes I ordered for that dinner. But there were raw oyster, wild boar cooked with cherry in a pot and some local beer. I definitely enjoy my meal a whole lot for I finished almost everything. That really says something as I didn't have much appetite during the trip. Something about my upset stomach. Proof is I didn't eat a slice of cake when I was in Paris.

Last but not least, some pictures to whet your taste buds and motivate you to visit Brugge.

Bistro den Huzaar, Brugge
Interior of the restaurant, very European and warm decoration

Fresh oysters
Fresh oysters to start a good meal

Complimentary appertizers
Complimentary appetizers to settle the stomach after that fresh but dangerous oysters

Brugge local beer
Brugge local bear, Zot (I think)

Some meat cooked in cherry sauce
Wild boar cooked in cherry sauce. Yum!!!

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"