Sunday, August 14, 2011

Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg - Castle in Alsace region

This is the first castle I visited in Europe, when I joined an Alsace wine route tour during the time I stayed in Strasbourg. I had to say it was one of the highlights of my trip last year.

Since the castle is located on the Alsace wine route and on top of a high hill overlooking the Alsatian plain, in the Vosges mountains just west of Sélestat, the road leading there was amazingly beautiful. The fact that it was autumn made the view even more gorgeous. However, as I took an excursion tour with two other tourists, it was impossible to have the car stopped to take some pictures of the terrific views. But maybe because I didn't have my eyes strained behind a camera, I managed to enjoy the scenery and memorize it. Just imagine, trees with leaves turning to a gorgeous yellow color covering the whole mountains. And so often, you would pass by vineyards stretching over the slopes of Vosges mountains. Again, since it was in fall, the leaves of these grape trees had turned yellow, making the whole area golden in the afternoon light.

Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg looks like a castle I have seen in some European fairy tale movies. It's definitely different from those Walt Disney version. And I like visiting this castle, but not staying. I guess after visiting a few castles in this trip, I really appreciate the convenience of modern-day technology. I think those who had stayed here in the past were very healthy because it would be a nightmare during winter. Even if they had servants, just walking out of the castle would make anyone cringe. So no, I don't envy people living in castles.

Again, photos tell thousand words. Here are some gorgeous pictures of the castle in autumn.
Haut-Kœnigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Kœnigsbourg castle

Haut-Kœnigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Chandeliers in Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Taken from Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

Outside Haut-Koenigsbourg castle

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"