Monday, August 29, 2011

Brugge - The narrowest street and my first Moroccan meal

When it comes to direction, I am proud to say that I am very good at it, for woman that is. Google map is my best friend when planning for my travel. And when I am travelling, local maps are always my companions. Also, I only need to find the place the first time (getting lost might occur), and the second time will be a breeze. But sometimes, maps can only help you so much.

I wanted to find De Garre because I wanted to dine in Cookie's. This restaurant popped up whenever I did a search for a good meal around the area. So yep, being a gullible tourist, I decided to have my lunch there. However, getting there was pretty interesting.

After reading my map and notes, I was sure the street was somewhere around Markt. But I could not find a street sign. No matter how many times I walked back and forth the street which was supposed to lead to De Garre. I had almost given up, but I did not know what to eat around Markt without getting myself into a tourist trap. Yep, Cookie's might be one as well, but at least the food sounded good. So I told myself to keep on looking.

Then I suddenly realized there was a door, in between two shops, where lots of people seemed to disappear into. I thought at the time, maybe I would just go in and explore. And you know what? That was the street I was looking for the whole time.

It was so narrow that if two people walked side by side, they might feel a tad uncomfortable. In Vietnam, this would not be called a street, it would be only an alley with some number tagged on it. But I was glad to discover it. The street was very charming with its cobblestones paving and red-brick houses.

Garre - The most narrow street I've ever seen

Garre - The most narrow street I've ever seen

Garre - The most narrow street I've ever seen

And yes, I managed to find Cookie's. Unfortunately, it was full house at the time. And I was too hungry to wait for a table. I got out of the establishment and decided to explore the street more. My curiosity lead me to Opus-Latino/Motahareh, a Moroccan restaurant.

It was a very gorgeous hidden place which I was glad to discover and dine here. I did not regret leaving Cookie's for this beautiful restaurant. Even though the place was empty when I first reached there, I was happy to have it all to myself. The weather was terrific, sunny but cooling. The peaceful and zen atmosphere helped me to relax tremendously. Luckily I had learnt my lesson from my previous New York trip, which made me have more time to enjoy my meal.

As it was my first time to a Moroccan restaurant and had no plan to go to one, I chose my lunch based on what the staff recommended to me. The meal I had was Couscous with roasted chicken which was quite interesting. But the combination of flavours was not my favourite, I probably would not order it again in the future. However, I would be more than happy to try other dishes the next time I visited a Moroccan restaurant.

Opus-Latino / Motahareh - A Moroccan restaurant

Opus-Latino / Motahareh - A Moroccan restaurant

Opus-Latino / Motahareh - A Moroccan restaurant

Lunch @ Opus-Latino / Motahareh

Moroccan Couscous with roasted chicken

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"