Sunday, August 21, 2011

Vineyards and wine tasting in Riquewihr

The next stop in my Alsace wine route excursion tour was Riquewihr. The village is famous for producing the Riesling and other great Alsace wines. It means it was a must to visit the vineyards surrounding Riquewihr.

Truthfully I have very little knowledge about wines and whatever related to them. It is not in my interest to learn about them. If I go out for dinner and dine in a restaurant, I normally choose water. I feel wine interfere with my food, even if it enhances the taste, I still don't like it much. Also, wine makes my throat feel dry, which I totally dislike.

Hence, during this visit, I couldn't say I understand much, especially during the wine tasting session. Well, of course I could differentiate the dryness of these wine. My throat was very sensitive after all. But other than that, I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to taste and feel. However, at the end of the day, I knew that I quite liked the Riesling.

Before this wine tasting session, our small tour group was shown the vineyards surrounding the village. And I've gotta say, I loved it. The view, the atmosphere and all the rules and techniques behind these beautiful vineyards. Do you know the French government has a very strict system concerning wine making and producing? There are rules on how grape trees are planted in a vineyard so that grapes are produced with the best quality? Also, vineyards should always be located on the slopes of hills or mountains in order to have rains, wind and sun in the right angle. And if a vineyard violates only a rule in the system, they will be fined. Depending on the seriousness of the violation, they might even be banned to operate a vineyard. And that is why French wines are still holding their quality and position in the world market for so long.

So yep, if you are in the vicinity, remember to drop by this village. I promise you won't regret it.

Vineyards in Riquewihr

Vineyards in Riquewihr

Vineyards in Riquewihr

Vineyards in Riquewihr

And of course, the wine tasting session in Riquewihr wine shop.

Wine tasting in Riquewihr

Wine tasting in Riquewihr

Wine tasting in Riquewihr

Wine tasting in Riquewihr

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"