Thursday, August 11, 2011

Strasbourg eats - Drinking hot chocolate in a cold autumn afternoon

There is nothing better than drinking a hot chocolate in a cold day, be it autumn or winter. Of course drinking anything hot in cold weather is always wonderful. But hot chocolate is especially more heavenly due to its sweetness and chocolate-ness (yep, I created the word). Another reason is that I can't drink tea or coffee, meaning that hot choc is virtually my only choice.

While I was walking around Le Petite France, I came across this little coffee shop. It looked so lovely and cozy inside that even though I walked past it, I went back a couple minutes later. It also helped that I was thirsty and a little hungry at the time. Well, time for a sugar intake, I guess.

The cafe was decorated with books, porcelain tea sets and beautiful wallpaper. It is a very typical European coffee shop in my imagination. And I love it so much. There were seats upstairs, where you have to climb through a wooden stair. But as I had had an ankle sprain less than 2 months ago, I didn't want to risk my leg to go up. So I sat downstairs, by a window, looking at tourists walking by and enjoy a quiet afternoon in Strasbourg. Sadly I didn't have a book with me, and all the books and magazines in the cafe were in French. If there were, I think I would spend much more time here.

I ordered a cup of hot chocolate and a slice of flour-less chocolate cake. The drink was nice but not really special. In fact, it was better than most of the hot chocs I had had in the States the trip before. But compared with the one I had in Brugge later, it was just normal. And the cake was nothing to write home about. It was too sweet, even for a sweet-tooth like me. And I didn't like the texture of the cake either. I guess I understood why their tiramisu was sold out so quickly. But I did have my sugar intake for the day. Yep, just for the day as I only finished one third of the cake.

As usual, here are some shots of the cafe, the food and drink.

A small cafe in Le Petite France

A small cafe in Le Petite France

A small cafe in Le Petite France

A small cafe in Le Petite France

A small cafe in Le Petite France

A small cafe in Le Petite France

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"