Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Experience Vietnam in Hamilton, Canada 2009

What is better than eating a bowl of pho bo (yes, pho again) and going grocery in a Vietnamese supermarket?

In a cold Christmas' Eve noon, Giang took me, her brother and cousin to "the best pho restaurant in Canada" (her direct quote). Well, as long as the pho is good, I dun care if that's true or not. And the experience was great, eating a hot bowl of noodle soup in a cold day, plus a big cup of avocado milkshake. Nothing could beat that.

The best pho restaurant in Canada
"Pho Dau bo" restaurant in Hamilton

The best pho restaurant in Canada
Inside the restaurant

Pho tai @ Pho Dau bo restaurant
Pho tai, my fav type of pho

Sinh to bo @ Pho Dau bo restaurant
A yummy glass of avocado milkshake


After the lunch, we headed to a Vietnamese super market to do some grocery shopping for our Christmas' Eve dinner. And I was glad that I had gone there. I found many things that seem to be extinct in Vietnam. Again, ironic, right? Overseas Vietnamese communities preserve our culture better than those in-country. Or am I too into the past?

Vietnamese supermarket in Hamilton
Unassuming treasure haunt

Quail egg
Quail eggs

Banh in, a traditional Vietnamese rice cake
"Banh in", a traditional Vietnamese rice cake

Pork blood curb
I dun even know where to find this in Vietnam and Singapore. Even if I could find it, I dunno if it's safe to eat. This is best to cook with porridge ("chao long") or "banh canh".

Another pho restaurant in Hamilton
Another pho restaurant, next to the supermarket

A banh mi shop in Hamilton
And a "banh my" shop

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"