Sunday, May 02, 2010

Vietnamese cuisine in San Francisco, Sep 2008

Laugh all you want but I'm always craved for Vietnamese food when I travel. For my trips to US and Canada, I always had to get at least some Vietnamese meals or instant noodles. American food doesn't really appeal to me, after a few meals. That is quite sad, I guess, cos I didn't manage to explore more of the food scene of the cities I travelled to. But I always think I have to enjoy every calories I take in. Or else, it's a waste of money and kilograms.

When I was visiting SF, I had been staying for over a week, so obviously, I needed my fix of Vietnamese food. And there is Little Saigon in SF, which I had to visit, made it easier to plan for meals.

So where could you have good Vietnamese food in SF, in my opinion?

Chinatown - Not surprising, I guess. Vietnamese restaurants are often found in Chinatown due to a good (but competitive) business environment and some other reasons I can't think of at the moment. No less than 10 Vietnamese restaurants and supermarkets were spotted in SF

Vietnamese cuisine in San Francisco
After walking around for a while, I had decided to have dinner here

Vietnamese cuisine in San Francisco
The condiments to eat with pho. And yes, I did order pho bo

Pho in San Francisco
Pho bo here is delicious. Better than 90% the noodles I had tried in Saigon. The beef was tender, the soup was yummy and the noodles were what we always have in the South of Vietnam. Not only that, the red sauce here was really good, not those chilly sauce they are using in Saigon nowadays (Darned! I hate that)

Moving on another part of the city. I don't think you could imagine of finding a shop selling "banh my" (Vietnamese baguette) around Union Square, but yes, there is one and the food is amazing. Authentic and yummy are what I could describe "banh my" here. You can't find it in Singapore, even Singapore is nearer to Vietnam than America is. Ironic, isn't it?

Dolci Cafe on Market St, San Francisco
Dolci Cafe on Market St, near to Powell St

Dolci Cafe on Market St, San Francisco
The menu. I love the ham and pate baguette

Dolci Cafe on Market St, San Francisco
Other food available here, i.e "xoi" (sticky rice), "banh da lon", etc.

Banh my from Dolci Cafe on Market St, San Francisco
And this is the yummy baguette. I really miss this.

Another area is Little Saigon. Well! It makes sense, doesn't it? Getting Vietnamese food from Little Saigon. Of course, I had to go there to see how Vietnamese community lives in SF. A bit quiet but much cleaner than Chinatown. And yest, all the Vietnamese food you can have.

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
Here it is. Little Saigon in SF

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
The famous Lee's Sandwiches

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
"Xoi", "bun tam bi", "banh day"...

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
Plenty of "nem chua"

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
Different types of desserts

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
Menu of available Vietnamese baguettes and sandwiches

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
"Banh da lon", "banh khoai my", "banh tam bi", etc.

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
Where you place your orders

Litlle Saigon in San Francisco
And what did I buy there? A huge and delicious avocado milkshake. My fav drink.

Lunch at Little Saigon
How about some pho? Let's go to "Pho Tau Bay". It is also a famous brand of pho bo in Saigon.

Lunch at Little Saigon
Some special if you are not in the mood for pho

Lunch at Little Saigon
Another bowl of pho bo, not that I will ever get tired of this.

6th St - A slightly questionable neighbourhood. But if you want to try some Northern pho bo and good "bun thit nuong" (grilled pork with rice vermicelli), then you can come here. An advice though: Try to take out your food.

Dinner at 6th St
Tu Lan restaurant on 6th St

Dinner at 6th St
I didn't really like this version of pho bo, but it was a good experience

Bun thit nuong in San Francisco
Grilled pork with rice vermicelli

Fisherman's Wharf - It might be the last place to find a Vietnamese restaurant. But I had an amazing plate of grilled pork with rice here. So yeah, you should try it if you are in the vicinity.

Breakfast @ Fisherman's Wharf
Darren's Cafe is the place to go

Breakfast @ Fisherman's Wharf
Yummy grilled pork and rice. I love grilled food.

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"