Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Best chocolate cake in Saigon...


... in my opinion as a disclaimer.

I love food. I love dessert, especially ice cream and cake. I had discovered the best ice cream in Saigon in my list and it's still X cream (screw Bud's and Fanny, not up to my standard! at least for green tea flavour). But cake is really a challenge.

I have my fair share of dining in restaurants and hotels. Caravelle, Sheraton, Equatorial, Windsor, Sofitel, Rex, just to name a few. I tried their buffet just so that I could try their cakes. Love the caramel spoon at Equatorial (exclusively at the Club Lounge, I think!). There are 4 types of cake I always want to taste, i.e. chocolate, cheese, blackforest and chocolate fudge. Yet I'm still in the quest to look for the latter 3.

I also have a fair share of spending my time at coffee houses. But cakes there are disappointed at the very least, even Highland, Terrace. And don't even talk about Kinh Do, Broadard or Duc Phat. They are just selling normal birthday cakes and I no longer eat those. (a bit fussy in this department, heheh!)

That's why it explained my surprise when I tasted chocolate cake at Soho Cafe & lounge bar. Chocolate cake over there is heaven materialized in a piece of cake. The chocolate is not too sweet, a bit bitter, melt immediately in your mouth. The sponge is not sweet either, perfectly combined with the chocolate, to give you the best taste ever. This piece of cake can be compared to the one I had as my b-day cake last year. Yummy!

I've tried Soho's Chocolate cake and Green Tea cake. The latter is just average standard. Yet still, there are other types of cake for me to choose next time I come back here. But the price is a bit steep. 25k for a piece. Worth trying? Absolutely yes!!!

No comments:

"Wish you can forgive your yesterdays. Wish you can love your tomorrows"